Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Opening day at the River Heights Farmers' Market

We're back and kicking!

As some of you may know, I am one of the market co-ordinators at the River Heights Farmers' Market.

This is my second year organizing the market and I really believe that this will be one of our best years! We have a variety of new vendors and the flow of requests keep coming! It really is overwhelming.

I made out with quite the haul on July 5th which was opening day!

Honey (Beeproject Apiaries), Hot Sauce (Blue Lagoon), Bok Choy (Food Ethos Farms) and Bath Salts (Go Natural). I also picked up some Kale and Swiss Chard but they were gobbled up on Friday night. 

Looking for some local honey? Beeproject Apiaries (from Wolseley!) sell creamed honey and they introduced bee pollen this year! The creamed honey on a warm piece of toast... drool...


M. picked up the hot sauce from Blue Lagoon Organics. He's been putting using for almost every meal already! Blue Lagoon were also selling these beautiful flowers;


This certified organic vendor has been with the Market since day one and they sell a variety of teas, herbs, produce and flowers!

One of the new vendors is a vegan baker whose company is called VegOut Bakery. Why does this name sound familiar you  may ask? Well that's because I picked up some of their cupcakes from St. Norberts Farmers' Market last month! 

(borrowed pic from previous post)

These little beauties were SOLD OUT by the time I got to the Market after work. I guess I should be happy that she had a successful day... M. wasn't happy though that I came home sans cupcake. :( Fortunately, another Market co-ordinator remembered how I raved about these cupcakes that she picked one up for me before they sold out. It was a chocolate and lemon frosting kind! Why is there no picture? Why do you think?!?! So good that I couldn't share. 

But, we have a our resident gluten-free baker that sells delectable baking as well and she came out with some new recipes this season including brownies that are on my "to buy" list next week. 


Jen also makes some protein bars, pie crusts and muffins. Definitely worth the visit. 

I am also looking forward to picking up some shortbread from Prairie Sweet Bakehouse. I tried some of her samples and I think the espresso and lemon kind are my favorite. As you can see, not much of the sample left at the end of the day either! 




Finally, we have a new vendor that sells beauty products that are goat milk based called Go Natural. Karen sells a variety of bath salts, lip balms, soaps and even soap friendly suds for dogs! 



I picked up the Chamomile/ Mint package with a sample of lavender oil. I keep smelling the packaging... 

To find out more about our vendors and location, hours etc... check out www.rhfarmersmarket.com 

Well, that was my trip to my local Farmers' Market. What did you find at yours? 



No comments:

Post a Comment