Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Local foods = Healthy Dinner

This is a part two to my post from Sunday. I mentioned that I purchased some local corn, kale and tomatoes from Vic's Market. Unfortunately, they do not have a website but they can be found on the corner of Jubilee and Pembina. There market is a bit more expensive, but they do have a deli and sell a wide variety of fruit, vegetables (mostly local) and oils. I like going there because it's a go to place to find some obscure ingredients. It's worth checking out at least once.

Anyways... before I get too off track, I made dinner this past Saturday night with my goodies and it was such a treat!



 I sauteed the kale and then put the in the oven on broil for three minutes to make kale chips.



With some boiled corn, cut up fresh tomatoes and kale chips my dinner was complete. But, M. had a craving for poutine so he made that for his dinner and I took a small bowls worth as a treat. He grabbed some fries from a restaurant down the street and we made the gravy and topped it off with some Bothwell cheddar squeakers and some left over tofu turkey. 




M.'s dinner:


 This is a, "I can't get off the couch" type of dinner.

As a side note, I love checking out the Famers Markets as soon as they open and I have developed a routine when it comes to groceries so that we remain within our budget. One week, I wake up early and try and make it to the St. Norbert's Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. Once I am done my shopping, on the way home, I stop in to Vic's Market and grab whatever produce that I didn't see at St. Norbert. The next week, I go to River Heights Farmers Market located at Oak and Grosvenor (opens July 5th) on Friday's after work and go to Costco over the weekend. I alternate. I like switching up the Farmers Markets since I am exposed to different vendors and the fact that I live in River Heights, I want to support my local market.

Which Farmers Markets do you frequent?

No comments:

Post a Comment