Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It's all about the Lychee's baby!

The lychee fruit or "Litchi"can be found in subtropical climates. It is grown on a fruit tree native to southern China, Taiwan, Bangladesh and Southeast Asia.... thank you Wikipedia!






I didn't know what the heck a lychee was until I had the Presidents Choice soft drink which lead to a lychee martini at Blu Fish (during my "eating fish" days) to... I should probably try the fruit.

I found this fruit (shockingly) at Superstore in late spring and they are delicious! Unfortunately, this sweet treat are only available for a few weeks a year. Well, at Superstore anyways. I wonder if they are around for a longer period time in Asian food markets?

The reason I wanted to share my love for this fruit with you is because I went to Superstore a few weeks ago and they were on display (as they should be!) for only $2.99 per 2 pound bag (which is an excellent price). Sometimes, when they are in bulk, I get stuck paying almost $3 a pound. Adds up!




The down side to this fruit is that it is 66 calories per 100 grams (booo!) but their are no saturated fats (yay!!!!) probably should be avoided if you are on a diet (booo!) but they are an excellent source of Vitamin C (yay!!!!)

Besides their pointy shell, unique texture, funky shape and huge pit, they are my third favorite fruit... after mangoes and pomegranates. All local fruits ;)


One day, I decided to have 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese (unsalted), 1/3 cup of granola with a few lychee's which made a lovely breakfast one morning.


What are some of your favorite fruits this time of year and why?




No comments:

Post a Comment