Sunday, June 2, 2013

Conquering the Pavlova

Time to take a chance!

I have a 2013 bake/cook goal list and it's not long but the point of it is to push me to improve my cooking/ baking technique and to try new recipes. Ever since I started cooking/ baking, I have been terrified (no joke) on making meringues and macaroons. They always seemed incredibly difficult and required a specific type of technique that I felt that I do not possess.

I received my monthly edition of Vegetarian Times Magazine and noticed a recipe for a Pavlova. A Pavlova dessert is a meringue-based dessert and it has a texture that is hard/ crisp on the outside but soft and light on the inside. It's a very popular dessert in Australia and New Zealand. I figured, it was time to take a chance and try this very complicated and daunting dessert (to me anyways).

Well, it was very successful! It was light, fluffy and delicious! In the center, I made a greek yogurt whip cream mix with a topping of blueberries and raspberries. Perfect dessert for a heavy dinner.





I am very happy that I attempted this recipe.  Best part is that it's only 186 calories per serving! Next, I need to try to make a lemon meringue pie.

I adapted the following recipe:

Raspberry and Blueberry Pavlova

(Pavlova with Mango recipe from Vegetarian Times, June, 2013)

Ingredients:


Toppings:
2/3 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup of non-fat 0% Greek yogurt
2 tbsp of sugar
1 container of raspberries and blueberries

Pavlova:
1 cup of sugar
11/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup large egg whites (approximately 4 eggs)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:

Topping:
  • Beat cream and yogurt together with 1 tbsp sugar in a medium bowl until stiff.
  • In a separate bowl combine all the fruit together with 1 tbsp of sugar.
  • Cover and chill both bowls.
Pavlova:
  • Position over rack below centre and preheat oven to 250 degrees. 
  • Cut out of parchment paper, a 9 inch diameter circle. Place parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
  • Combine 1 tbsp sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. 
  • In a separate medium bowl beat egg whites, lemon juice and vanilla with handheld electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1 tbsp at a time of remaining sugar (15 tbsps). While doing this gradually increase the speed of he mixer from medium to medium- high. I have a 7 speed mixer so I went from 5 speed to 6 speed then 7 speed at the end. Beat for 4 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and looks satiny. The best way to know if it's ready is by taking a spoon and making a path through the mixture. If the path doesn't cave in, it's ready. 
  • Now beat in the cornstarch mixture. 
  • Scrape the mixture into the centre of the parchment paper circle and spread it out almost to the edge of the paper because the Pavlova will expand. Ensure that the edges are slightly higher than the centre. 
  • Bake the Pavlova for 1 hour and 15 mins EXACTLY. You will know that it's ready if you can poke your fork through the edge of the Pavlova and the crust gives in a little bit. 
  • Do not remove the Pavlova from the oven. Turn off the oven, keep the door closed and let Pavlova cool in the oven for 1 hour. 
  • Gently remove the parchment paper from the Pavlova and place it on a large dish. 
  • Spread the yogurt mixture thickly in the centre of the Pavlova spreading it around but leaving a crust. 
  • Top the yogurt with the fruit mixture. 
How did yours turn out?





No comments:

Post a Comment