Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What a Long Weekend

How was everyone's long weekend? Mine sure felt long. With another 15 hours of over time under my belt, I was exhausted but I managed to make some time to have some fun.


M. and I decided to go to The Grove for dinner on Friday night. We enjoyed some drinks and delicious foods. M. went for the veggie burger and I was craving a pizza. I tried "The Paige". The toppings included caramelized onions, onion salsa, pear and prosciutto and finished with basil. Minus the meat this is what landed in front of me.

I loved it! The pear wasn't too sweet and the onions had great flavours. The crunch from the onion salsa came through and the freshness of the basil tied everything together. This combo works and it is my new favourite! My plan is to recreate this at home.


I ended my meal with sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It wasn't exactly what I expected since when I have ordered this dessert in the past it had a type of caramel sauce and chocolate. This was a plain cake with some kind of syrup and fresh blueberries. They also put flowers on my plate. Why put something on my plate that is not edible? (Trust me. I asked) It was a pretty plate but this fell flat for me.

I also managed to do some cooking. It was more for de-stressing than anything. I decided to make risotto for the first time (maybe not the best decision for a de-stressing recipe search) and even though you need to show great patience it was fun to make and the results were worth it. I found it from Thug Kitchen's blog. A vegan blog that has a lot in-your-face attitude. Probably because of all of the profanity. I get a kick out of it.


Finished product!

I added some frozen peas at the end of the process. This dish was extremely flavourful. It reminded me of the first time I had risotto during my Minneapolis trip last year. I love this recipe. I will share my adapted version soon. The original recipe asks for asparagus which I look forward to trying next time.



 We also enjoyed the last of the summer sun and had a BBQ on Monday. M.'s parents were over and we all enjoyed potatoes, grilled corn, zucchini, broccoli and tofu. It was fantastic comfort food and a great feast to end the weekend.


M.'s mom was also kind enough to bring some dessert from a bakery in T-cona. We enjoyed some tiramisu, baklava and raspberry tartelette.


How was your weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment