Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Happy... Thursday!

Happy Thursday Everyone!

The weekend is right around the corner and I haven't yet shared about my adventure from last weekend :)

Last Sunday was a busy one for us. We made time to go to ManyFest that was happening downtown. This past summer flew by and I haven't been able to enjoy the food trucks that have been lined up during lunch time only a few blocks away from the office. I told M. that going to ManyFest was our last chance to be part of this new food truck craze and we had to make it count.


Off we went to Broadway/ Osborne area and perused through the trucks. I wanted to try and sample a few things from most of the trucks we were checking out but not all of them were veggie friendly and, if they were, they had nothing, well, that exciting to offer. I was tired of the ol' poutine or fries flavoured with some sort of spice. Also, the line ups were quite long so we had to be strategic with what we wanted to try.





Such a beautiful day.


I decided to go to, Stuff It, which focus on pitas. There weren't any vegetarian options to try pita wise but they did have deep fried pickles with cajun spice that sounded interesting.


Here they are with a side of some dressings. They look like fries don't they? When I think of deep fried pickles, I am expecting thick cut breaded deep fried pickles. When you bite into them you still get that crunch but juicy. Although these were enjoyable to eat, especially when you have a fried food craving, they were a let down since it was more batter than pickle. Also, they took over 20 minutes to get after they took my order.


While I was waiting for the pickles, M. was over at the Red Ember wood fire oven pizza truck ordering us their Caprese pizza.  I have been hearing a lot of talk about this particular food truck all summer so I couldn't wait to dig in. I also love that they focus on local ingredients from the grain to the flour used in the dough to the cheese to top it all off (and everything in between). The pizza we had was three cheese topped with basil. It was delicious. I could have probably eaten another. Great crust!


They also had tasty fun ginger ale pomegranate drink. It was refreshing.


A view of the truck.

There were a couple other trucks that I would have loved to try (such as the Greek Foods Market or samosa truck) but after the pickles and pizza, I couldn't eat another bite!

I will definitely return back next year!  Did anyone else make it out to this festival? 

Well, don't fret. Many of the food trucks can still be found on Broadway including the Red Ember. Check out their website here to see where you can find them.

When I was writing up this post last night, I was starting to get hungry for pizza so I made this little gem.



Spinach, tomato and cheese pizza. Not all local ingredients unfortunately or cooked in a wood fire oven but it was still delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment