Monday, September 22, 2014

How Do You Like them Apples?

It's that time of year where everywhere you turn someone is asking you, "do you want some crab apples? My neighbour left me too many!" Or "Want to come over after work and pick up some apples? My apple tree went crazy this year!" And the question is, what the heck do you do with all of them? I received two grocery bags full of apples and well, I certainly did not want these colourful, crisp, tart apples to go to waste! I started looking for some recipes.

I found a apple crumble and a squash and apple soup to try out.


Let's start with the apple and butternut squash soup.



Making this soup was a perfect excuse to finally use my crock pot. Very excited for all the soups and stews I will be making over the winter.


The soup itself was okay. As M. nicely put it, "feels like I am drinking some hot apple cider with a side of squash." I guess I added too many apples. I didn't think it was that bad. Better not share the recipe until I have made it again and tweaked it. Oh well... 

On to the apple crisp! 

My friend A. came over on the weekend to help me peel and cut up apples so that I can make my first apple crisp.  A vegan one to boot!


I mixed the apples with the following spices; cloves, nutmeg, all spice and cinnamon. The smell was incredible. It hasn't even hit the oven yet!


Our crumble toping.


Here is the crumble coming out of the oven. You can see on the sides all the juices from the apples. Not only was this visually appealing but the smell of cinnamon that fills the kitchen is just heavenly.  Salivating yet?



Final product!


Warm apple crumble with ice cream is a perfect marriage. Delectable. Just as good cold too :)

This is actually a recipe that I found from Post Punk Kitchen's website. Click here for the link. I also copied her recipe below for you to enjoy!

Ingredients
For the filling
4 lbs apples (I use Roma)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup apple juice or water
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (cornstarch will work too)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup raisin (optional)
For the topping
1 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
1 cup flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup canola oil
3 tablespoon soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F
Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Dissolve the arrowroot in the apple juice or water. Set aside.
Place apples and raisins in the baking dish, add sugars and spices and combine everything well (you may need to use your hands to do this). Pour arrowroot mixture over everything.
To prepare the topping, in a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add oil, soymilk, and vanilla, mix well. Crumble topping over the apples. Bake for 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving


No comments:

Post a Comment