Monday, September 9, 2013

Mac n' Cheeze, yo!

M. and I would ideally like to have a sugar-and-simple-carb-and-alcohol-and-Starbucks-free diet this month, but, who can live an entire month like that?! Thank goodness for cheat days.

Every Saturday for the month of September we will have a cheat day and to start the month off, we decided to have some good ol' Mac n' Cheese!

The recipe I am going to use calls for four meltable cheeses and it suggested, parmesan, white cheddar, gouda and monterey jack. La Grotta market on the corner of Taylor and Waverley is where I went to pick up the cheese so that I can get the exact amount I needed for the recipe but also as a treat since it's a little pricey.


I also wanted to pick up this little guy... 



Well, splurge I did with the cheese. Unfortunately I was marvelling at my dessert than paying attention to the slabs of cheese that were being cut for me. Instead of getting 200 grams of each cheese I ended up with 250 grams of extra strong white cheddar (I asked for the mildest possible) and 150 grams of smoked gouda (I did ask for smoked). I ended up spending $25 on three slabs of cheese. Gulp. Also, I should have returned the extra strong white cheddar, M. who is a cheese fiend could barely eat a cube of it. Luckily it didn't ruin the recipe because at $10.47, I wasn't going to waste it!

M. and I go to La Grotta market as a treat since they do have an impressive cheese counter, beautiful and delicious desserts (including panna cotta and mousse), fresh breads and a variety of freshly made pastas or pasta dishes from the deli and interesting spices and other ingredients to peruse. I would say it's like the city's south end version of De Luca's Market. But, you know, pricier. They also have a wine boutique to wander around if you have an even more expensive palette. 


Here are the ingredients that I used for the feast I was going to prepare: penne quinoa (gluten-free) pasta from Costco(big bag for $10), butter, most of the cheese I purchased, and 2% milk. I have tried using almond milk when I have made this recipe in the past and the cheese sauce did not thicken up very well. 



I need 3 cups of cheese all together... can someone say... cheese attack?

I found the recipe from the Spilling The Beans cookbook that I received for Christmas a couple years ago. It's got a cutesy name which can sometimes be a turn off but it has a couple gems in there. This Mac n' Cheese recipe I think is the best one. Either way, since I stayed true to the recipe I can't share it due to publication rights. *sad face* 


Can you guess what the secret ingredient that I will be using?


First, I whisked the butter and whole wheat flour until it turned golden brown. 



I added the milk slowly and brought it back to a boil.


Simmered until the mixture thickened enough that it covered the back of a spoon.


Adding the cheese...


Secret ingredient!!! By adding these cannellini beans it brings a nice texture and also another great source of protein to our dinner. You can pick up these beans for $2.99 from Organza or Vital Health. 


I find it easier to layer the penne and beans inside the casserole dish before I add the cheese sauce and then bread crumbs such as Panko!



 Finished product





Add some kale chips and you are good to go!



What was left over :) Great start to the cheat day saga. 

You can learn more about La Grotta market by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment