Saturday, August 3, 2013

Burgers Part Deux

A second post about burgers within a week was definitely not intentional. But a happy accident. 

My papa decided to come to good ol’ Corydon to have dinner with M. and I this past Tuesday night. That left me in charge of picking the restaurant. I wanted to introduce this suburbanite (St V.) to something a little more fun so I thought of going to...



Market Burger!

They finally opened down the street from us, so what perfect time to try it out? We knew that there were two vegetarian burger options, so, I was pumped. 


Cute menu!


 While we were sipping our Heinekens ($7.50), Standard’s ($5.50) and Rickards Red ($5.50) while also downing some cucumber water (fancy), we realized it had been over a half hour since we ordered. Finally... 35 minutes later we received our food.

Yup, it took 35 minutes. Was it worth it? Sure? Was it hot? Well, warm... overall experience? I’ll get to that. 

They offered a build your own burger option for $8.50 (with more topping options for more moulah) which all three of us opted for. M. picked the black bean burger patty, grainy beer mustard, cucumbers, a fried egg and a skinny bun. There were many choices for sides such as home cut fries and Mac n’ Cheese but M. picked the vegetarian poutine. They actually had a vegan option which offered tofu curds instead of cheese curds. M. wanted the Bothwell cheese curds, though, that were part of the non-veggie poutine options. Well, the waiter informed us that after being open for two weeks, they do not offer the Bothwell Cheese Curds anymore because they don’t melt properly. Wait. What? They don't? News to us. 




Anyway...

I picked the sun burger patty (yup! same one you can find at Underground Cafe in the Exchange) with grainy beer mustard, tomatoes, cucumbers, ketchup and skinny bun. I also picked a side of fried pickles! They were only $5 which is a GREAT price for the amount we received.  They served it with a curry mayo dip.





My dad picked the beef burger with onion rings as a side.


 










The burger overall was actually really enjoyable. Not sure what a skinny bun is because the bun we received was quite thick, soft and warm, yet you didn’t have that overfull feeling after eating the burger. I guess that qualifies it to be a skinny bun. The sun burger patty was quite tasty but on the smallerish side -- I could compare it to a large meat ball that you smooshed between two pieces of bread. 

Now, on to the overall experience. I really enjoyed the decor and welcoming 'vibe' you felt when you walked in. It was very inviting. The staff was friendly. The menu options weren't anything special except for the fried egg and vegan tofu curds as options.

The burger patties were fine. M. even made a comment that he enjoyed the black bean burger patty I made earlier this week (on the previous post) than the burger patty he received. We found our burgers to be a little bland but in the end, the patties were fresh and we were offered a variety of toppings and choices that made the experience more fun because it was personalized. Another positive is that it's down the street from us but the 35 minute wait time on a Tuesday night along was questionable, especially if you want something quick.

I know I was harping on the burger patty options and that they were bland, but the fact that they had these options was a huge positive. This burger joint is a great place where vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters can all have a nice meal.

I give 7 out of 10 for my overall experience.

I would go back. After all, I want to try out the rooftop patio!

Cheers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment